Austin Changemaker Series
Research-driven UX Design
What is the AIGA Changemaker Series?
• The AIGA Austin Changemaker Series united teams of creative professionals with nonprofits and social change organizations to use design thinking, sustainable frameworks, and creative tools to help advance their mission.
• The design tools and sustainable frameworks that creative professionals use daily can have a large impact when applied toward aiding important social challenges.
• Each year, the series rallies around a new cause from May to September and assisting nonprofits fighting homelessness was selected in 2018.
• How might we provide volunteer services to our (Foundation for the Homeless) client families while respecting their confidentiality?
• The transition period to self-sufficiency is emotionally taxing. Case managers help clients map goals, create an action plan, and a housing stability assessment. A lack of resources and communication leads to a high rate of recidivism.
Our team met for the first time and was introduced to the non-profit organization Foundation for the Homeless. We immediately began working to gather data, conduct interviews, gain understanding, synthesize secondary research, and identify sustainable opportunities to help the organization.
Kept our focus on the Foundation for the Homeless’ core mission: Restore hope by providing a safe and inviting shelter for families experiencing homelessness, while working with these families to reach their goal of an affordable lease in their own name.
User experience design thinking exercises with the AIGA "Team Star" and representatives from an
Design Thinking: Team Star and nonprofit The Foundation for the Homeless