Research-driven UX Design
December 2018–June 2019
Senior UX Designer
What are Bazaarvoice Insights?
• Generated by applying business intelligence and/or pattern recognition to data.
• Attempt to go beyond the “what happened” to “why it happened” and when possible offer recommended action(s).
Our customers have always valued their access to their Bazaarvoice data. Continual customer requests include improved reporting content, flexibility, delivery, and actionability.
• Brand managers, merchants, retailers, advertisers, and executives struggled to find the strategic data they needed on an existing dated platform. The insights product helped to increase perceived value within client organizations.
• Insights afforded Bazaarvoice a competitive advantage. Competitors were unable to deliver similar functionality.
• When used correctly, acquired data delivers strategic value to clients and assists in negotiations for better data rights.
Client Service Directors Played A Key Role
• Relayed customer feedback on products Bazaarvoice built and maintains.
• Participate in research and discovery of new product opportunities.
• CSDs were forced to produce reports of strategic insight for clients manually.
• Customers struggled to find strategic data using existing, and dated dashboards.
• Retail Network and depth of data provided a competitive advantage.
• Competitors are unable to deliver similar functionality.
Research & Prototype // External Usability Testing // Qualitative Feedback // Insights Pilot // Pilot Invitations // Pilot Analytics & Quantitative Research
Notes & Sketches
• Early notes from planning sessions with product and development teams.
• Some tangible examples of customer insights data.
• Refined insights data lists.
Consolidated multiple, dated Bazaarvoice personas from Confluence into three primary personas. Added fresh details from usability interviews and a few hours of discussion with internal SMEs.
Internal Prototype Design
Internal Usability Interviews with internal Subject Matter Experts.
Hypothesize & Prototype
• Consolidated scattered persona documentation.
• Improved personas with empathy mapping exercises.
• Validated personas through collaboration with SMEs.
• Prototype informed by queries & recommended action(s).
• SMEs served as internal usability participants.
Bazaarvoie SME: Client Success Director (CSD)
Bazaarvoice CSDs help customers to develop better retail products, create engaging marketing and produce more inspired shopping experiences daily.
Key CSD Feedback on Internal Prototype
Provide more context with Recommended Action:
• When referencing a BV service, clarify for the customer if it's already set up.
• Connect the customer with their Account Director for all BV Sampling decisions.
• Knowledge base articles will only be useful if it's a self-service type of recommendation.
• Present a competitive case study & statistics with the recommendation to pay it off.
• Page would benefit from a more formal introduction and more direction at the top.
• Expected ability to view report data within the page, an option to export if desired.
• Data visualization colors and charts will help clients process information faster
• Add icons for Questions & Answers, Ratings & Reviews to provide a quicker read.
• Ability to share an insight with a colleague is really powerful.
• Can we add a brief onboarding experience for those who may use this app infrequently?
External Usability Testing
The User Experience Research team interviewed 18 participants, each of whom was a Bazaarvoice customer. Feedback from stakeholders and existing customers were collected via formal, external usability interviews.
Screenshot from external insights prototype; usability testing ran from February 26–April 3, 2019.
“The Insights prototype design was clean, modern, and much easier to use than workbench.”
— Lauren, J&J Baby Ratings & Reviews Management
• Prototype was very well-received and ranked highly.
• User Experience Research team consolidated findings.
• Stakeholders' feedback informed the design of our pilot.
Twenty-two Existing Bazaarvoice Customers Piloted the Insights Product.
Bose, L’Oreal, Adidas, Maybelline, UNIQLO, REI, Target, Macy’s, HomeDepot, Levi’s, 3M, Marriott International, Johnson & Johnson, and others.
Collaborated with data and engineering teams to build a pilot and set up quantitative tracking metrics using HEAP.
• Two users for a minimum of two to three hours, followed by a 30-minute phone call.
• Additional 30 minutes of use in the pilot experience each week.
• A 60-minute phone call at the close of the pilot.
Pilot Analytics & Quantitative Research
• Filter usage was high and supported engagement and conversion rates.
• Assumption: Grouping similar insights into collections may reduce cognitive load.
• Users ignored both insight statuses and states, removed in favor of simplicity.
• Overview page usage dropped quickly. Conversations indicated the content was not engaging.
• Penetration to Recommended Actions was very low. Visibility within the collections will improve access.
• The number of reports downloaded was very low. Presenting reports in-line, on the page was a recommended solution.
1. Adjusted Overview Page
2. Adjusted Card Structure
3. Adjusted Recommended Actions Page